21st Century Mission blog
This is the pastor’s own personal blog – a space for his own thoughts and views, not necessarily connected to the life of the Countess Church.
- Justice in the Long Haul 22nd November 2017One of the frequently asked questions on Alpha courses in the session on 'Evil' is 'why does God allow bad regimes to remain in power'. Of course it is a good question, with plenty of examples of dodgy regimes to cite through history and in the current day.My own remarks in response would be to […]
- Priestly Role 17th September 2017We know the Old Testament pattern of appointed priests (from the tribe of Levi) who served at the Temple, the focal point of God's presence, on behalf the Israelites. The whole people were in covenant before God, and within that the priests had a special role.What is typically less understood is that the whole nation […]
- I Proclaim 18th August 2017I have recently argued that we need to nurture our spiritual hunger and thirst - a desire for spiritual food & drink, the presence of Jesus and the work of the Father. Accompanying that we need to look to Jesus and His Kingdom possibilities, which when He is present among us are surely imminent, and […]
- I Expect 12th August 2017"I expect" - two words laden with possibility. Unlike "I thirst" they are not two words spoken by Jesus on the cross, yet his reply to the thief on the adjacent cross "Today you will be with me in paradise" shows us that his expectation was very much dialled to the max!Weeks later Peter would […]
- I Thirst 10th August 2017"I thirst". Just two short words spoken by Jesus on the cross, yet they convey so much. Of course Jesus was thirsty - who wouldn't be when crucified in the Palestinian sunshine! But the words surely also convey a spiritual reality - Jesus continues to seek and yearn communion with God his father, even as […]