21st Century Mission blog
This is the pastor’s own personal blog – a space for his own thoughts and views, not necessarily connected to the life of the Countess Church.
- Watch and Pray 26th May 2017We of course encourage people to pray. Newcomers to the faith and established Christians. But do we explain how persisting in prayer can be shear hard work? Do we spell out the loneliness, the possibility of abandonment, or the potential feeling of the concrete ceiling?"Could you not watch with me for one hour?", Jesus asked […]
- Following the Spirit 10th May 2017Jesus told Nicodemus 'The wind blows wherever it pleases - you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit'.The Spirit blows freely. It doesn't follow our set patterns, pre-conceived ideas or agendas. As such it can seem to us that it flits from […]
- Worship First 1st April 2017The people start to return back from exile. They assemble in Jerusalem and see the ruins, as captured in Ezra chapter 3. On coming together the first thing they do is sacrifice offerings, bringing their worship to God - picking up again a God ordained sense of celebration.This is done without the foundation of the […]
- Witness to Freedom 9th March 2017Recently someone asked me the classic 'How much should I give?' question, pondering the just as classic 'ten percent tithe' approach. I think there is a simple answer:Make it your habit to give generously, even extravagantly, as the Spirit liberates you.If you are sitting there calculating, then you probably haven't found a liberty in the […]
- Snares and the risk of Ministry Trophies 2nd March 2017Gideon does pretty well in his story in Judges. The Lord reveals to him his commissioning, which he takes on. When the Midianites up the ante, Gideon does some discerning to be sure and then goes off to do battle. He allows his army to be whittled down, understanding that it is God's strength that […]