21st Century Mission blog
This is the pastor’s own personal blog – a space for his own thoughts and views, not necessarily connected to the life of the Countess Church.
- Cultural Translation 14th November 2018One of the questions that we must keep returning to is this: 'What words and images can we use to effectively communicate the message of Jesus, the cross and the resurrection to today's people?'. Given that culture, language and its idioms constantly change, are we updating ourselves adequately to continue reaching people?Note that this is […]
- From Angst towards Kingdom Best 27th September 2018We can all suffer from angst. Any single day in ministry can present us with a shed-load of angst inducing items be they small or large, and worse still these accumulate day on day.The writer to the Hebrews says we 'do not see everything subject to them' (Hebrews 2 verse 8), i.e. we do not […]
- Grace Shadows 13th August 2018In Acts chapter 5 things rise to such a point that merely the shadow of Peter has to fall on someone for them to have the possibility of healing (see verse 15). Crowds gathered and pressed in to be part of the action, resembling the times when Jesus moved among the crowds and ministry took […]
- Rain, Wells and Springing Up 9th August 2018The recent weather has made us sit up and take notice. Yes we do depend on the weather, and so yes we do depend on God - His grace and provision. It is not simply a case of continuing on as normal.Promises in scripture suggest the same might be true of salvation - that is […]
- Staying True to What the Father is Doing 26th July 2018Early in the ministry of Jesus as recorded by John there is a dispute with leaders who questioned what Jesus was up to. Jesus' reply holds a deep truth: 'The Son can do nothing by himself, He can only do what he sees his Father doing' (John 5:19).Jesus, who is able to spot a lame […]