Countess of Huntingdon
The mid-1700s were exciting times. Wesley & Whitfield were preaching the good news of Jesus Christ and seeing many lives changed & transformed. The Countess of Huntingdon used her resources and influence in conjunction with these great preachers and helped start a number of chapels across the country to enable yet more people to hear the gospel. Ely was one of those, constituted in 1785 when a parcel of land was purchased enabling the chapel to be built. As time moved on, many of the chapels re-aligned or merged, but Ely and some others remained in a separate trust formed out of the Countess’s lifetime efforts: the Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion.
As a church we now operate as a registered charity in our own right, but we remain a church in the nationwide Connexion which continues to unite the churches together.